Roommates. I've been extremely lucky so far that all, let's see, all six roommates I've had throughout college have been awesome, awesome people. Maybe it's Morris, maybe it's sheer luck. I only knew one of my roommates before we moved in, the rest were barely acquaintances or complete strangers. And we all got along great. I'm really great friends with some of them, I have learned a lot from my time with them, it's been great.
Fast forward to now, here I am, sharing a one-bedroom apartment with three people. Three. I knew what I was getting myself into. I knew it probably wouldn't be super fun, but I couldn't quite prepare myself for what happened. I didn't think about how disparate personalities would clash or blend, how friendships would be forged and then broken in a matter of weeks while others just puttered along just fine, or how someone could live in a place and yet not spend more than 7 hours there a day.
I didn't quite prepare myself for the ball of stress and introversion that would wallop me in the evening, leaving me angry at the world and especially my roommates, unable to put together a friendly sentence, and getting more and more freaked out that I don't have a quiet space I can call my own.
That wave of emotions passed, and I made sure to go to the library tonight, which was at least quiet, if not empty.
I also wasn't prepared for living with someone so completely inconsiderate, so hard-headed, so utterly self-centered. I didn't know they existed in the world. You'd think most people understand that when at least three people are against you, perhaps you're in the wrong. You'd think.

I've decided roommates are great, people are great, just so long as they're considerate (which most people are, I've learned. So far 8 out of 9 are) and as long as I have a place to get away from them when I need to.
Anyone have a closet I could borrow?
The man upstairs strumming guitar singing muffled sad songs understands how I feel about this roommate business.
It's cold but not quite enough for the sleet to stick.
Tomorrow the winter storm everyone is scared about
May or may not piddle some rain on us
And we may or may not get a late start
Because apparently I work at an elementary
School and not the largest library in the
World.
No comments:
Post a Comment