If you'd like to make all those new year's resolutions that most people make: losing weight, exercising, reading more books, making new friends, then moving to DC as an intern is probably the perfect thing for you!
Let's take a look at how this lifestyle change can work for you:
1. Exercise.
I've got one word for you: walking. When you live three blocks from your workplace, that's a good start, but add on 12 blocks to the nearest grocery store, and then you're beginning your full-body workout. Let me spell it out: walking to the bus stop, working out your legs as the bus jolts around so you stay upright and don't fall into a poor unsuspecting citizen's lap, biceps curls to hold your basket of groceries that gets heavy surprisingly fast. I just bought 12 items! I swear! Weightlifting the bags back to the bus stop, on the bus, and the 6 blocks home. Seriously, your arms and shoulders and back will be sore tomorrow. Guaranteed. Oh, and let's not forget tourism! That adds in lots more walking.
2. Eat well.
When you're on a shoestring budget, you can't eat out all the time, and you've gotta cook/make sandwiches for yourself at home. That means you're more in control of what goes into your body, how much, and when. Double plus good.
3. Read more books and write more.
Library. Of. Congress. If there's anything more inspiring to us writerly types than the largest library in the world, I'd like to see it. Seriously, can you imagine the nooks and crannies, the amazing books, the comfy chairs they have for your research and reading convenience? I'm more excited to get started than I ever was to do research projects in college. Add to it this blog to make me write more, and bam.
4. Make friends.
I made two friends yesterday: my roommates. Today, my friend Holly is showing me around town. Tomorrow I start work, and will get to meet whole bunches of people. When you're new to town, you can't help but meet people, because if you didn't, you'd end up fully becoming one with the blanket nest you made on the couch.
5. Have adventures.
This is the easiest one on here. When you're new, just stepping out your freaking door is an adventure. Getting groceries is an adventure. Finding lunch is an adventure. EVERYTHING IS AN ADVENTURE AND YOU'RE GONNA LIKE IT.
No comments:
Post a Comment